Judaism & Baseball
Friday, June 28 – Sunday, June 30, 2013
Excitement is in the air as the manager has handed in his card announcing the starting line-up for the summer's 2nd annual "Judaism & Baseball" retreat. If last year's home run performance is any indication, fans will be in for the time of their lives!
The starting line-up includes some returning players from last year's gathering and some rookie attendees, as well, all boasting a combination of experience and power.
- Leading off, we have the innovator whose original fantasy baseball game, Strat-o-Matic, changed the way fans watch baseball, inventor Hal Richman.
- Batting second, equally potent at the plate and on the field, former New York Yankee and Met outfielder Elliott Maddox.
- Hitting third, a major league hall of fame scout responsible for the signings of Frank Thomas and Jack McDowell, it's Al Goldis.
- At clean-up, representing the greatest Jewish home run hitter of all time, the Director of "The Life & Times of Hank Greenberg," Aviva Kempner.
- In the fifth spot, we have the Director and Editor of "The Cooperstown Symposium on Baseball & American Culture," Dr. William Simons.
- Batting sixth, the contact hitter who created the Jewish major leaguers baseball card series, Martin Abramowitz.
- Hitting seventh, it's the author of "American Jews in America's Game," Larry Ruttman.
- At eighth, it's the former Business Operations Director of the Israel Baseball League, Bob Ruxin.
Rounding out the order and pitching, of course, is former San Francisco Giants and Kansas City Royals left hander Bob Tufts.
And providing commentary in the broadcast booth, we'll be joined by Talmud scholar, magician, and major baseball fanatic Arthur Kurzweil; as well as Ivy Weingram, Associate Curator at the National Museum of American Jewish History, who is currently working on creating the museum's 2014 exhibit "Chasing Dreams: Baseball and Jews in America."
The weekend long retreat will feature lectures, panels, interactive discussions, and more, with Isabella Freedman's welcoming environment creating the opportunity to interact casually with Jewish baseball experts throughout the weekend.
Presented in partnership with
Registration fees include Isabella Freedman's comfortable rustic lodging at its beautiful 400-acres site in the Connecticut Berkshires and wonderful, healthy, farm-to-table kosher meals throughout the weekend. If you're new to Isabella Freedman, check out our Frequently Asked Questions for information about where we're located, arrival and departure times, what to bring, etc.
Use Discount Code EARLY when you register by May 31st and save $25.
All-inclusive rates start at just $320 per person. Click the purple button to the right for information, rates, and to register online. Online registration is for full credit card payments only. If you would like to pay in installments, pay by check, or apply approved financial aid, please call 800.398.2630 x4.
You will receive a confirmation email once you have registered and made a payment online or by phone. If you do not receive the confirmation email within 24 hours of registering, please call us at 800.398.2630 x4.
We strive to make our programs affordable to everyone.
Click here for information about Financial Aid.